Monday, January 7, 2008

Welcome Back and Happy New Year!

2008 . . . I should get used to the year changing but I never do. It always seems to boggle me for a little while. I will struggle to get it right for a week or so, as I write the date, then it will become normal. Growing up, the thought of a new millennium seemed strange. Being a sci-fi guy and watching the futuristic TV shows and movies made me think that 2000 was incredibly far away and not really real. Now, in 2008, the thought of crossing that time threshold seems less strange but still odd none-the-less. Neither 2001: A Space Odyssey (released in 1968) or the sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) got the timing right on man orbiting Jupiter but we have achieved many things envisioned by science fiction writers.

One thing that hasn’t changed a great deal though is organized learning: technical, academic, and otherwise. Of course, we have much more sophisticated technology and much more of it. But the real ingredients of education stay the same—namely people working with people to build upon, transfer and apply knowledge that adds value to the individual and society. Such is our endeavor and a most significant one at that. When teaching, I often feel inadequate. In part because I realize how little I really know and because I know I have so far to go. That doesn’t change the fact that the person who I am responsible for is looking to me for guidance and there is no ready alternative. That realization helps me to take stock, refocus and improve. You see, I can simultaneously be grounded in the knowledge of my limitations, help others learn and get better myself. It is an amazing human endowment. So without getting into the whole resolution thing, I will endeavor for our organization to grow and improve in 2008, while I too strive to grow and improve. I know you will join with me in that challenge and as such feel confident that we will have a great 2008. Welcome back and Happy New Year!

No comments: