Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Acceleration Team

I had the pleasure of meeting with the Acceleration Team over the spring semester to discuss a variety of subjects. Meeting with a primarily faculty group gave me the opportunity to discuss the input gathered at the all-faculty meeting on August 22, 2011. The team included the following representatives that were chosen by the employees from the respective divisions with a few employees that I appointed myself.

Debbie Tertinger – Health and Human Services
Pete Baldwin – Business, Computer, Arts, and Sciences
Jonathon Stewart – Industrial and Engineering Technologies
Krista Bradshaw – Center for Teaching and Learning
Linda Bolick – Corporate and Continuing Education
Sally Herlong – Student Services and Adjunct Faculty Member
Kerri McGuire – Student Services and Adjunct Faculty Member
Steve Rast – Adjunct Faculty

I greatly appreciate the time and energy that all of these employees spent reading articles and discussing a variety of subjects with me. I believe they provided me honest input that gave me a deeper understanding of the challenges that you and our students face. We also discussed several articles that I have provided below for those who wish to review.

Making It In America
A Matter of Degrees
Why Companies Aren’t Getting the Employees They Need
Who Are Our Students?
Are College Students Learning?
The Case Against Strategic Planning

We were able to summarize what we thought were the “big rock” issues discussed during our time together and have documented those in our summary document. Many of these recommendations are being followed-up on by various groups. If you want to learn more about my time with the Acceleration Team, I welcome you to contact one of the members listed above or myself. I will continue to engage you to learn more about what we can do to improve student success.