Friday, August 17, 2007

Values Tally

Thanks to all who have viewed the blog and thanks to those who have left comments. I will be making attempts to address your thoughts but in the meantime, keep checking in or sign up to receive notification.

I enjoyed our time together Wednesday and I am impressed with the values that came out of the exercise. Although there is no perfect science to the tally, this helps us gauge where we are in the process. The list will change as we hear from others that have not participated. In addition, there may be broad categories that we combine to help facilitate a more concise value. While all our expressed values are relevant and important, it would be nice to narrow our "corporate" list to a number that was manageable. What I am shooting for is a list that is representative and memorable such that we can easily refer to them on a frequent basis, hopefully from memory.

I look forward to your feedback!

4 comments:

Edie Dille said...

Thanks for the new format for the opening session and modeling the way to get the audience engaged. I was pleased to see that integrity hit the top of our list. We have great group of employees and a couple of meaningful reasons for being. I think the hard part for us is getting the word out that we do a great job of providing students with needed knowledge and skills - even though some companies in our areas do know that, many don't, and we certainly don't seem to get the respect that we should from many of the four-year institutions.

The only value on the list that surprised me was "peachiness" and I am guessing that the person who put that has a name that starts with "R" and it isn't the pres.

JMc said...

When I viewed the list of values generated out of the fall meeting I was feeling pretty smug as I read down the list seeing the values I had put forth ended up towards the top of the list. However, I was sobered up fast when at the bottom of the page I spied the word diversity. I was ashamed and embarrassed that value had not been in my list. I tried to comfort myself with the thought of we have done such a good job in the past that diversity was no longer a priority. I quickly realized that was a rationalization and complacency is no excuse for doing the right thing.

I wish to extend my appreciation to whoever had the good sense to include diversity in our set of values. I wish to change my vote and put diversity back up on the top of the list.

Jim McDermott

Rocky Ratteree said...

I found our Fall Orientation useful in beginning the process of talking about our corporate values and how to put them into action. I appreciated the openness of our session and how everyone was involved. It was a lot of fun (and there isn't a law that says work can't be fun, is there?).

I look forward to a more open and "engaged" culture here at York Tech as we go forward. We have a lot of talented and dedicated people working here; it just makes sense to "turn them loose."

Unknown said...

"Peachiness" didn't come from me. We have too much of that already.